Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trust God and Do the Next Thing



I've been back in Finland now a few days after traveling to Turkey, and I've been thinking about our lives as believers. What do we do with our past, our present, and our future? I think what we need as disciples, is to live the "tight rope" life of faith. It seems that our life is kind of like that. Just think about someone who learns to walk the tight rope. He has to start small, with tiny steps, and very small risk. At the beginning, the trainer is there, walking with him, holding his hand, and instructing him in each step. This is a very important time in the trainee's life because he's learning to trust his trainer. That trainer is building in that person an amazing capacity: the capacity to go across that tight rope at high speed, with no fear, and with a 50 foot drop below. In everything the trainer does, his goal is to safely bring the trainee to that point. In a way, I think this is what God is trying to do with our life. At first maybe we walk very slowly, maybe we don't really make any radical decisions, and just getting to church can be a challenge. But as we walk with the Master we start to realize the potential He has put in us to live radically. He is always there, loving the fear right out of us as we grow. We begin to move, faster and with more risk. I begin to realize as I look at the 50 foot drop below me that, "Hey, what's the big deal anyways? I have been given all grace, all wisdom, all power, and all ability in Him! My life is not my own, I've been bought with a price! If I fall, I fall in Grace, and God is able to make me stand! Who cares about the risk of humiliation, ridicule, disdain, or even death? I have God!"
When that person is on the rope he really only has two things in his mind: The next step, and the finish line. We are trusting that God is real, He is in us, dwelling richly, and He has given us what it takes for the next step. So what if I've messed up in the past? Now, I'm just trusting God and doing the next thing. I'm not worried about 5 days from now, I'm occupied with Christ in the Eternal Is of RIGHT NOW! Like Paul, I have my goal, my "mark", which I am pressing towards. I have my Promised Land set before me, but right now I'm occupied with each step I take as I cross the Jordan River with the Ark on my shoulders. God is parting the waters, God has possessed the Land for me, God has given me His presence and His power; I am just trusting Him and moving forward.
We need this kind of life. The world is too evil, too crazy, and too small minded. Thank God He has given us all spiritual blessings in heavenly places. Let's utilize them right now in a radical way! Let's forget the past, rifle our worries for the future at the cross, and run across that rope believing God for every step.

Pray for us this week for these amazing upcoming events:
- Concert in Metro Tunnel 4/30, Jesus March 5/1, Trip to Porvoo 5/2, Finland Tour with Roger, Lizzie, Miia 5/3-5/8, and also upcoming trips to Estonia, Sicily, Germany, Czech, and possibly even Sweden.

No comments: