Friday, August 26, 2011

an epic day

Jouni (our youth pastor in Helsinki) and I (Mathew Laflamme) left shore this morning expecting a easy ride on our little white fishing boat around the lake known as Ylä-Lylyjärvi...it didn't turn out that way.

 We've been spending the last few days there relaxing and doing some serious bouts of fishing. The first days on the lake were pretty uneventful, that was until last night. On our way back in from a 2 hour fishing expedition we were carrying two small pickerel and we were quite satisfied to just go back and hit the sauna. But Jouni wanted one more cast, so we did, and he hit gold. A 7 kilo (roughly 16 pound) northern pike nailed his lure and after quite a struggle we wrestled it into the boat. Jouni was shocked as we saw how big these giants can be. It was over 3 feet long! I've never even seen a fish this big.
Then this morning we went off again without any real equipment because we weren't expecting anything big. I cast my line...we began talking... and BOOM, another big hit. As I was thinking to myself "how big could this one be?" the thing jumped out of the water with my lure still in its jaws. Jouni rowed the boat slowly back to the dock as I wrestled the beast. Finally, I was back on the dock, thinking I would just reel him in. I was wrong. It took me over 30 minutes to fight him back to shore and finally get him close enough for Jouni to grab him in the net. This pike was even bigger then the one from last night! It was 18 pounds and way over 3 feet long. Two huge catches in just 24 hours... crazy stuff...

Now we're headed back to civilization with our prize fillets stocked away in the cooler










Two fish over 16 pounds in less then 24 hours...




2 comments:

Paul said...

Nice!!!!

Anonymous said...

that's hamastytavaa!!! Didn't Know you we're such a sportsman! So cool and such a Huge Fish! Love you Buddy. I'm here in Berlin for a Few days. Love auntie